How Do I Protect Myself?
Suspect ID theft if you’re denied credit for no apparent reason or if routine financial statements stop arriving in a timely manner.
Protect Your Identity
- Never respond to unsolicited requests for your social security number (SSN) or financial data
- Before discarding, shred credit card, ATM receipts and any pre-approved credit offers you have received, but don’t plan to use
- Check all credit card and bank statements for accuracy
- Avoid easy to figure out access and personal ID (PIN) codes
- Obtain a copy of your credit report yearly and check it for accuracy
- Use only secure sites when making online purchases. Secure pages begin with "https."
- Pay for online purchases by credit card to assure you get what you paid for and to limit your liability
- Safeguard your SSN and check Earnings and Benefit Statements annually for fraudulent use